Lisa's Journal

I want to keep everyone up-to-date on what is going on in my life and how they can specifically pray for me. I was recently diagnosed with tonsil cancer and will soon be receiving treatment. I plan to go to U of M for treatment. Please pray for courage, strength and for me to hear God's voice.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

testimony

Testimony of Lisa Marie Davis
11-5-06

I am Lisa Davis. My husband, two children and I have been in Coopersville for about a year and a half. We have been attending Coopersville Reformed Church for about a year now. We have two daughters, Alexa who will soon be four and Lauren who just turned a year. I am here today to speak about my journey-my journey of praising God through my storm.

This past May, I was diagnosed with tonsil cancer. It is very rare, especially for a young, healthy female that doesn’t smoke or drink. I spent most of this summer at the University of Michigan undergoing seven weeks of radiation and chemotherapy. My husband, step-mother and I sat in the doctor’s office back in May with no idea what was about to hit us. The doctor said cancer, radiation and chemo in one sentence. WOW!

How in the world was I going fit cancer into my already busy schedule. I did not sign up for this!! I had a seven month old baby, toddler, part-time job and a house to keep. Cancer was not suppose to happen at this precious time of my life!

I will confess-it took a few weeks before I could grasp how my life was going to change. The fear that over took my mind was incredible. Will treatment work? How sick will I get? Will I need a feeding tube? Will I loose my hair? Will I physically be strong enough to endure treatment? What is the long term prognosis? I was scared-terrified! Not a day went by where I didn’t cry out to God. I would just hold my girls so tight-never wanting to let go! My old life was no more……..and a new one was beginning.

I loved my “old” life it was really good! I did not know why God had to come in and stir things up! I have a wonderful family, great job, loving parents, wonderful husband and most of all two beautiful , healthy girls. After the birth of my first daughter, my relationship with God deepened. I felt absolutely blessed to have her and I continuously praised God for her and the many blessings in my life.

I admit, I had very little problems in my life and I did a fantastic job of managing everything myself. Until the day cancer and I met…did my relationship with God completely change.

When you are faced with the possibility of death, fear and isolation can almost be unbearable. For the first time in my life, I came to completely depend on God for strength, courage and peace. I knew that cancer was bigger than me, bigger that what I could ever handle alone. I had to surrender it all to God. I knew that cancer was not from God, for GOD IS GOOD AND ALWAYS IS GOOD. The enemy came in to rob me of health, joy and peace. He desired me to live in fear. God, I know has a perfect plan for me.

One of my favorite scriptures is Jeremiah 29:11 “ For I know the plans I have for you , “declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”

Once I let God take control of this situation- I was given a new freedom. It felt good not to worry , and let God take care of it. I felt like I could breathe again and a weight was lifted. God took the wheel and I was along for the ride. I began to daily, sometimes moment by moment talking to God. I would ask for Him to give me peace and keep the fears away.

I filled my mind with scripture…the Bible became so alive! I put verses up all over in the house and continuously had praise and worship music on. THAT WAS TRUE MEDICINE! I had many prayers, but my biggest prayer was that I would continue to be a mother throughout treatment. Being a mother has been the greatest joy of my life and I didn’t want cancer to rob me of that. I prayed for my family’s strength, as they would be a big factor in taking care of the girls. I prayed for my physical strength to endure treatment. I also asked God for safe travel as we made the two and half hour commute to Ann Arbor. Prayer for courage was also on my list.

As one week turned into another, God began to reveal Himself to me more and more. He revealed His healing power, compassion, protection, goodness and peace. God was so faithful I answering my prayer to be a mother. During my thirty-five treatments of radiation and chemo………….I WAS A MOTHER………CANCER DID NOT STOP ME! I was the caregiver for my girls. We played, danced and sang just like any other day. PRAISE GOD! About half way through treatment, my tumor began shrinking. PRAISE GOD! God also worked through many people of this church to provided meals, support, housecleaning and many needed prayers. THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU! You were God’s hands through this.

Ray and I were overwhelmed with the outpouring of love from our parents, this church and our neighbors. Additionally, God protected me physically. The doctors were astonished with my lack of symptoms. I never needed a feeding tube, lost little weight , ate many solid foods and needed few drugs. Most recently I underwent a PET/CT scan to show if any cancer remained or spread, and I am thankful to say all was negative. There is no signs of cancer at this time. PRAISE GOD!! Most importantly God protected my heart and mind. He filled me with a peace that is humanly impossible. The peace I experienced came from our Heavenly Father. He took the storm in my life and calmed it. He was the life jacket and I clung to His promises.


James 1:2-3 says,”Consider it a pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may become mature and complete, not lacking anything.” So………….cancer was and is my trial, and I am sure it won’t be the last. I am grateful it’s not up to me in this life. God is the Master Builder. Even when I cannot see it, He has the blueprint that is perfect, lacking nothing.
I have learned that when I am weak, God will make me strong, for His power works best in our weakness. As I face tomorrow, I will do it in trust. I will be reminded of the peace God gave me, the confidence in His word, and how faithful He is. I have come to trust God on a whole new level and I have learned to praise Him regardless of the storms I face…..for He is always with me.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lisa

    I cant thank you enjoy for sharing that testimony. I know it must have taking you a long to type that out. Tears are strolling down my cheek (thanks a lot...I am at work)...but each and every word you said - wow...I cant even explain the feelings it brought. You brought me into your life....even though I didnt physically feel the pain, experience the fear, the worry about the unknown, but you made me feels it emotionally. I thank God for you....you are an amazing woman to God and I can only imagine how many lives you have and will touch with your testimony! What a wonderful THANKSgiving this will be for you.
    Enjoy it and I will see you in a couple weeks.

    Also, thank you for putting the girls updated pictures on here. Boy are they growing. I havent seen Lauren since she was a baby last Christmas - what a cutie pie she is and that Alexa-a beautiful image of her mom!

    God bless you, the girls and Ray!
    Luv Ya Lots, Lisa

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As much as necessary.

     
  • At 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can look for the reference to a site with a large quantity of articles on a theme interesting you.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whether there are analogues?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home